Here is the Holiday top that I made to go the the Holiday Skirt from my last post! It actually was faster to make than I thought it would be.I started with a pair of outgrown velour pants of my daughter's. I try to avoid hemming whenever possible, so I used the existing hem from the velour pants for the top's bottom hem and the sleeve cuffs! Total cost to make- FREE!
The finished top.
1) First I started with a pair of velour pants that had a pant leg opening width of 7 3/4". 2) I then cut about 7" up from the bottom of one pant leg. 3) I cut about 3" up from the other pant leg.
4) I then carefully cut open these pieces along one side seam and laid the pieces out flat. 5) I did the same for both pant leg pieces. 6) I then carefully cut along the remaining seams so that I had four pieces total.
7) I next folded the two larger pieces in half, using the wider piece for the back pieces. I cut along the fold for the back, this gave me two pieces. For the front I pinned the piece along the fold for the center front. 8) I pinned my pattern pieces so that I used the existing hems for the front, back and sleeves. I made my own patterns, but you can use a purchased pattern the same way. Just make sure that the top measures 6" long and the finished sleeve measures 2 1/4".
11) Next, I sewed the sleeves to the armhole seams, matching the center sleeves with the shoulder seams, and with right sides together.
12) I then sewed the side and sleeve seams.
14) I turned back the neck 1/4" and hand sewed this down. 15) I used matching black hook-and-loop for the closure. I attached a 1/4' wide strip of the loop portion along the right side edge of the right half of the back, and a 1/4" strip of the hook portion along the inside of the left half of the back. I use an iron-on type of hook-and-loop, I find it easier to work with on small projects.
The above photo shows the finished top.
This is how it looks in the back.
I hope to eventually include patterns that you can download and print. For now, you can modify purchased patterns like I have shown here.
Well, I am mostly done with my Christmas shopping. So now I will begin with the wrapping! I might even do a few doll sized gift boxes too!
Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy the Holiday season!