Thursday, December 15, 2011

Holiday Top

Here is the Holiday top that I made to go the the Holiday Skirt from my last post! It actually was faster to make than I thought it would be.I started with a pair of outgrown velour pants of my daughter's. I try to avoid hemming whenever possible, so I used the existing hem from the velour pants for the top's bottom hem and the sleeve cuffs! Total cost to make- FREE!

 
The finished top.

1) First I started with a pair of velour pants that had a pant leg opening width of 7 3/4". 2) I then cut about 7" up from the bottom of one pant leg. 3) I cut about 3" up from the other pant leg.



4) I then carefully cut open these pieces along one side seam and laid the pieces out flat. 5) I did the same for both pant leg pieces. 6) I then carefully cut along the remaining seams so that I had four pieces total.

                                                                        
7) I next folded the two larger pieces in half, using the wider piece for the back pieces. I cut along the fold for the back, this gave me two pieces. For the front I pinned the piece along the fold for the center front. 8) I pinned my pattern pieces so that I used the existing hems for the front, back and sleeves. I made my own patterns, but you can use a purchased pattern the same way. Just make sure that the top measures 6" long and the finished sleeve measures 2 1/4".            

 
9) I then cut out pieces. 10) I sewed the shoulder seams with right sides together, and finger pressed the seams open.


11) Next, I sewed the sleeves to the armhole seams, matching the center sleeves with the shoulder seams, and with right sides together.






12) I then sewed the side and sleeve seams.
13)  Next, I turned back the center back edges by 1/4" and edge stitched on both sides of the back.




14) I turned back the neck 1/4" and hand sewed this down. 15) I used matching black hook-and-loop for the closure. I attached a 1/4' wide strip of the loop portion along the right side edge of the right half of the back, and a 1/4" strip of the hook portion along the inside of the left half of the back. I use an iron-on type of hook-and-loop, I find it easier to work with on small projects.


The above photo shows the finished top.


This is how it looks in the back.

I hope to eventually include patterns that you can download and print. For now, you can modify purchased patterns like I have shown here.


Well, I am mostly done with my Christmas shopping. So now I will begin with the wrapping! I might even do a few doll sized gift boxes too!

Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy the Holiday season!
Creatively Yours,
Donna

2 comments:

  1. You've made this look so simple I'm going to give it a go. A friend has given me a length of black velvet she had left over. Just the ticket. I'd love to show you the garments I've knit (top down, seamless!) or you could look on craftythrifterinnz.wordpress.com ♥

    ReplyDelete