Monday, May 7, 2012

Results of My One Week Challenge!- Five Doll Fashion Pieces from One Junior Top!

This is the original junior top that I started with...
  ... On my last post, I gave myself a one week challenge to see how many doll clothes I could make from this one 50 cent thrift item... and here are the results (I did finish in one week but it is taking me a while to get this post finished!)...

Item #1- Peasant top
This was made from the bottom hem for the body, and for the sleeves I used the original sleeves of the top with their existing elastic cuffs.
Item#2- skirt
This simple skirt was made from the middle stripe, I cut a 8" wide and 22 1/2" long rectangle and I added an elastic casing and a machine stitched hem. The finished skirt length is 5".
Item#3- Banded waist skirt
For this skirt I used the middle stripe pattern cut 8 1/2" wide and 22" long folded in half horizontally. By doing it this way I eliminated a need for a hem! I considered making this a reversible skirt but I didn't care for the pattern on the other side. The waistband is made from a purchased knitted headband 1 1/4" wide that I adjusted to fit the doll's waist and attached to the skirt with a stretch zig zag stitch. The finished skirt length is 4 3/4".
Item#4- Sundress (with sash)

Item#4- Sundress (without sash)
This dress was made from the back of the dress using the patterned yoke already attached to the dress skirt. I used the front V-neck edge details for the shoulder straps and collar. I added 3 little buttons from my stash. For the detachable sash, I simply cut a length 26"long of the original 2" wide tie.
Item#4- Sundress (back view)

Item#5- Headband
For the headband I cut a piece of the 2"wide tie 10" long and gathered each end by hand and added a 4" piece of 1/2" wide elastic and sewed in place.

Here is how the top looks with the green skirt...
...and with pink Capri pants.
The green skirt with a cream colored top. I made the cream top from an old knit top of mine: I cut and braided strips of the knit fabric for the neck trim.
The black striped skirt with the cream top and headband.
The dress with the sash.
The dress without the sash.
The headband.

And in the end I only had a little of the cream patterned fabric left over! I love the way the  multi colored striped patterns enabled me to create so many different looks and how some of them even have a border print look!

I hope you enjoyed this challenge... I had fun doing it!

Creatively yours,
Donna

handmade projects Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/8}Craft & Tell

37 comments:

  1. Wow --- that's amazing!!! You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out great! You have a good eye for pattern placement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love them.. I should do something like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to see what you come up with if you do! keep me posted.

      Delete
  4. I knew it would be terrific! great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, thanks and I'm glad I lived up to your expectations!

      Delete
  5. How Precious!!! I "sew" envy your sewing talents!!! : ) hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your decorating crafty ideas, too!

      Delete
  6. I really loved this concept and you did an amazing job. Just stumbled onto your blog from a Pinterest post and most definitely became a follower. When I visit my Granddaughters I will have to snag some things that they've outgrown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! This was such a fun project and I do love a good challenge, I just might do another challenge, if I feel so inspired! Have fun with your own projects!

      Delete
  7. So cute! Please check me and my friends blog...
    http://the-spicys-doll-blog.blogspot.com/
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And nice job with your new blog! I really like your photograhy suggestions!

      Delete
  8. Thank you a million times for the inspiration. Two daughters, two AG and lots of keepable clothes I couldn't part with . . . I'll be busy but this will be a fun project!
    Did you make the paper patterns I see in some of the photos or did you find them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do actually make my own patterns but many of my ideas can be worked without patterns or in some cases you can use purchased patterns and alter them as I have done (such as eliminate the hem alowance when working with existing hems). Have lots of fun with your projects!

      Delete
  9. Just found your blog, it is great! Very timely as well as I just bought a pretty embroidered childs dress today to cut up to turn into clothing for 18 inch dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found me! Have fun with your project(s)! Please come back and let me know how they came out!

      Delete
  10. i love your blog!! i'm giving you the "your blog is great!" award!! check out the details at my blog http://lissywillnevergrowup.blogspot.com
    luvs,
    lissy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are tops!!! Love the blog and will read pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your posts were so inspirational for me as I made doll clothes for my three granddaughters, all 7 years old and born one month apart. I used baby and kids clothing from Goodwill. Surely you haven't stopped blogging....I would be so diasppointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! No, I still plan to blog, but I have been busy with my etsy shop and creating new patterns. I still have several thrift shop finds that are just begging to be made into something fun!

      Delete
  13. Your dolls have cuter clothes than I do!!! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love the cream colored top with the braided neck trim. Please do a pattern for it on your Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually I'd like to see patterns for all of these! They are SOOOOOOOO cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them! I am developing some new patterns (not these- not yet anyway!) so keep a look out for new patterns at my etsy shop!

      Delete
  16. Wow! Very creative. You must be left handed!? Lol I've done some dresses outta clothes but never came up with as many and well made. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOU ARE AMAZING!! Just one more reason for me to hit those thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the first time that I visit here. I found so many exciting matters in this particular blog, One thing I would like to request you that pls keep posting such type of informative blog. Batman Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  19. I appreciate this blog your blog is vert help full for me i really enjoyed this stuff dude. Spiderman Hoodie

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete